[ubuntu-in] OOo versus Windoze Orifice (was Lotus Symphony)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:57:02 BST 2007

Hi Nan.

First lotus symphony is in Beta and is free and considering that its source
is OOo source code it should remain free - they might charge for additional
services though.

On 10/9/07, nan budh <nanbudh at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> while on open office, recently i had an experience i d like to share.
> Couple of my students made a presentation in power point, containing around
> 50 photographs on each slide. Then they transferred it onto a laptop which
> had open office installed. Now when the presentation opened in ooimpress....
> it was painfully slow. the transitions did not work at all!!!

Ok  - i use open office extensively - writer, calc and impress  i have also
used M$ orifice quite a lot (earlier - now i don't remember many things)

But somethings:
OOo is normally a bit slower off the blocks - if you stick to pure OOo
formats the performance is good and often even faster

When you try and access M$ powerpoints there is initally a drop in
performance - slower, bigger file size etc - BUT it works well no problems
and there should be no significant consistent drop is performance. That may
be because of other factors - links within the presentation , machines specs
etc.

If you convert a M$ file to OOo format the performance speeds up - however
vice versa is not so good (i.e. if you used an OOo file converted to M$
formats)

In OOo i have used and upto 60 -70 high quality images - with a total file
size of about 200 mb and that has worked perfectly. The presentations also
have a whole lot of gimmicky stuff and everything works. The later versions
of OOo even have the play video features and sound which is was missing.

Recently i had the opportunnity to work on fresh instal of M$ office XP or
something and i was shocked that many of the basic text animations were
missing and needed an additional download - which obviously

Finally there is the GIGO theory - M$ files have a lot of bloatware and
garbage and OOo - though a lesser mortal - does not know how to cope and
this does affect the performance - so if making a presentation under OOo do
it from scratch it will make a big difference.

regards
ram