[ubuntu-in] Setting up local apt-get repository ?

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 01:26:37 GMT 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 7:41 PM, Ramnarayan. K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Nov 23, 2007 12:45 PM, Parthan S R <parth.technofreak at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Sorry, I missed the main thread. By "local repository" you mean having
> > a local mirror or your own repository + ubuntu ?
> >

> would like to have my ubuntu repository resident on either my hard disk or
> an external usb conected hard disk. Its a pain to keep searching for the dvd
> etc to install when i would like to have it "always on"
>
> can apt-mirror be used

Yes,

> How i look at is there are two joints to the problem
>  first - how do i copy the cd /dvd to the hard disk - should it be an ISO
> image or what
> second - how do i point my apt-get sources to the specified location.

To copy a dvd/cd tdo the following

1) Create  a directory, preferably called 'ubuntu'.
2) Copy 'pool' and 'dists' directory from cd/dvd to ubuntu directory
3) modify the sources.list file and add the following

   deb file:///<full path to directory>/ubuntu main <any other tree you have>

4) do apt-get update

 For more specific instruction let us know exactly how you want to use
the local repository.

regards
VK