[ubuntu-in] Wireless Connection on Suspend or Hibernate

Gautam John gkjohn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 09:27:21 GMT 2007

'm running Gutsy on a Lenovo 3000 G400 with a Broadcom Corporation
BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01) and using the wireless driver
installed via the restricted driver management. It works fine except
for when I wake from suspend/hibernate. The nm-applet purports that I
am connected to the network but I cannot connect to the internet. I
have tried:

1. Editing /etc/default/acpi-support to include:
# Add services to this list to stop them before suspend and restart them in
# the resume process.
STOP_SERVICES="networking"
but this does not work.

2. Invoking sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart and stop and start
variants but that does not work either.

3. Restarting X, that does not work.

The only fix is to restart/reboot the computer.

Is there a way around this problem?

Related to Wifi, my laptop has a toggle switch on the side that turns
Wifi and Bluetooth on and off. I have tried toggling that on wake but
it does not work either. Actually, that switch does not seem to work
regardless of a suspend/hibernate. When off, the WiFi icon in
nm-applet is still displayed but I cannot surf the net. It does not
seem to pass on the state information to nm-applet. Similary, the
Fn+F5 that is supposed to tunr WiFi on and off does not work but
strangely, Fn+F6 works to toggle Bluetooth.