[ubuntu-in] (Kubuntu 6.06 and K apps ) (was no-subject)

Roshan d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in
Wed May 9 07:50:30 BST 2007

--- Gora Mohanty wrote:

> Um, why exactly were you surprised with this? Of
> course,
> DNS needs to be set up properly in order for name
> resolution to work.

Konqueror, for one, was working without the need of
supplying a nameserver (public DNS, rather) in
/etc/resolv.conf
All that it had in DNS (or /etc/resolv.conf) was the
ADSL Router/Modem 's IP address.

> Once you get tired of MTNL's
> sorry
> excuse for DNS, run your own with the named package.

Till date, I haven't faced any problem with their DNS,
and Triband is working pretty well for me.

> > Can I (if I get one) use the Kubuntu 6.06 DVD as a
> > source for installing common applications (such as
> say
> > GCC 3.x or 4.x, Java 1.4.x JRE 1.5.x etc?)
> [...]
>
> Yes, this can be done, provided that the
> applications are
> actually on the DVD, e.g., I am not so sure about
> the JRE,
> presuming that you are referring to the Sun version.

I am referring to the Sun Version. It is available in
the repos, but that seems to be a lot of download for
me.

> What
> you need to do is to add the DVD to
> /etc/apt/sources.list.
> Google should turn up various links telling you how
> to do
> this, e.g., http://www.debianhelp.org/node/6706 If
> you are
> unfamiliar with apt, and would like a GUI, try
> synaptic. It
> will let you easily add a CD/DVD as a source.

Umm, Ok. I will try this sometime.

--
FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
S K Somaiya College of ASC- http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc