[ubuntu-in] critical bugs for Indic (hindi) in Ubuntu

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Fri Mar 30 07:24:53 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 15:35 +0530, Aniruddha Shankar wrote:
[...]
> 2. After installing the hindi openoffice language pack, open openoffice and try
> to type any string with more than one hindi character. On my system, openoffice
> with the hindi language pack is useless because I can only type the first letter
> of any word, i.e, no Hindi character that is not a) the first character in the
> file, OR b) preceded by a space appears.
[...]

Yes, I just encountered this problem when trying to do a presentation
with Hindi OpenOffice for a conference. I think it is a problem with the
Hindi locale, as if you choose the Hindi interface, but an English
locale, things seem to work. I have not had a chance to investigate this
further.

Regards,
Gora