[ubuntu-in] Subject of Proprietory Software(s) codecs etc on Ubuntu

Suraj N. Kurapati skurapat at ucsc.edu
Sun Mar 11 05:54:52 GMT 2007

ramnarayan.k at gmail.com wrote:
> there is a persistent issue of Ubuntu not being totally open source and
> that it includes components (codecs etc ) that are propreitory and that
> basically go against the GNU/Linux core FLOSS philosophy

Incorrect. If what you claim were indeed true, then I would be able
to play MP3 files and watch DVD movies "out of the box". Obviously,
that is certainly not the case.

Quoted from <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats>:

"Ubuntu strives to make every piece of software available under the
licensing terms laid out in the [WWW] Ubuntu License Policy. Patent
and copyright restrictions complicate free operating systems
distributing software to support proprietary formats.

Ubuntu's commitment to only include completely free software by
default means that proprietary media formats are not configured 'out
of the box'."