[ubuntu-in] [Mumbai]: VJTI browsing centre dual boots Ubuntu and Windows

Roshan d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jun 10 16:10:21 BST 2007

All,

Great fun in a sort-of install fest!

VJTI's Computer Lab in the mechanical engineering
department is the centre for NRCFOSS's
(http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/full/26/NW/) FOSS
activities.

The members of GNU/Linux User Group of Mumbai
volunteered to setup Ubuntu Linux on 30 computers in
the lab.

The server runs, Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (Etch).

The installation method that we followed was this.

Windows XP (on most machines) were allocated 40 GB out
of 80 GB of hdd on the primary partition. The Extended
partition were divided into four logical partitions of
10 GB each.

We deleted the four logical partitions and created
1. / (root)
2. /boot
3. swap

partitions, since, the requirement was to have a
central storage place (such as on one on the server)
and students could access their data from any computer
with a specific login.

(My college lab has this setup in Windows 2003 server
and WinXP as clients).

That's it. It was great to be a participant of such an
event.

However, since we were short of Ubuntu 7.04 CDs and
time, we installed 6.06 on some computers, and Kubuntu
6.06 on some computers.

--
FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
S K Somaiya College of ASC- http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc