[ubuntu-in] bsnl dataone setup on ubuntu - ifconfig error

आलोक कुमार alok at devanaagarii.net
Mon Jan 22 04:21:56 GMT 2007

>  Now, for your problem, remove the ethernet cable to your desktop
> and then try to find if there is ethernet eth0 present (using ifconfig
> eth0). If it is not there, then you are missing some of the drivers
> which u can proceed using lspci and finding the appropriate driver

$ ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

I get this whether or not the ethernet cable is plugged in.
I'll try lspci tonight.

>  If the ethernet interface comes back alive then connect the cable to
> the interface and then check if the interface disappears. Also you can
> check the status of the interface using command "mii-tool" which will
> say if the carrier in the interface(link) is present or not. If the

$ mii-tool
SIOCGHIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not permitted
repeats 7 times for eth0-eth7
no MII interfaces found

--
Can't see Hindi? http://devanaagarii.net