[ubuntu-in] Difficulty adding CDROM to sysnaptic for installing software (ubuntu 6.06)

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 09:27:38 GMT 2007

On 1/18/07, ramnarayan.k at gmail.com <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> am having difficulty getting synaptic to add cdrom and dvd rom
>
> machine is a Lenovo  laptop with DVD / CD combo
> am currently running Ubuntu 6.06
>
> every time i say add cd rom it returns the following message
>
> *Error*
> The following problems were found on your system:
>
> E: Failed to mount the cdrom.
>
> - the cd and dvd work otherwise -
>
> In the repositories the cd rom options are ticked on
>
> Have also tried the apt-cdrom option but that too does not work
>
> any idea what the problem is and the solution.

I have no idea what the problem is. But I suggest something different.
1. Create an ISO image of your Ubuntu CD or DVD on hard disk.
2. Mount it under /media/ubuntucd or /media/ubuntudvd and then add
following line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb file:///media/ubuntucd/ main restricted

Hope this helps.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.