[ubuntu-in] How can i get glib .deb and video player

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 14:57:55 GMT 2007

On 1/13/07, Francis Bosco <ifrbose at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper. I am not having internet connection.
>  need to download everything in a browsing centre.
>  Is there any ubuntu version come with all of needed codec's any multimedia
> players
>
>  1. I downloaded source for xmms. while configuring it asked me for Glib1.2.
>  then i got Glib1.2 source installed it. but again when configuring xmms it
>  showing glib is not present set the correct environment path.
>
>  Where can i get glib in the form of .deb packages. It is not at all there
>  in packages.ubuntu.com
>
>  2.What is the player available in ubuntu to run all windows format videos.
>  where can i get in the form of .deb package

You will need to do a lot of download manual work. But if you ready
for that then following are instructions.

1. The default players or media related applications in Ubuntu, use
gstreamer as backend. So if there is gstreamer plugin for a format
then you can handle it. Examples, Totem Media Player, Rhythmbox Audio
Player, Sound Juicer CD Ripper.
2. Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com to search for packages, their
dependencies. Make sure that you choose release as dapper while
searching package.
3. I suggest you download following packages and their dependencies:
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, gstreamer0.10-pitfdll,
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse,
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
4. Most of the above mentioned packages and their dependencies (many
libraries) are in universe or multiverse section, as indicated in
search results. You may safely ignore dependencies which are in main
section. Packages in main section are not marked.
5. Refer this page to download w32codecs - binary dlls for some
formats for which Free codecs are not available.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/WindowsCodecs
6. After you have all the .deb files, use command 'sudo -dpkg *.deb'
to install them all in one go. Few packages may have circular
dependencies and installation may fail if tried independently.

Hope this helps.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.