[ubuntu-in] Clean Install or Dist Upgrade - which is better

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 07:51:19 GMT 2007

On 2/1/07, ramnarayan.k at gmail.com <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Which is preferable -
> A fresh Install to a newer version of Ubuntu or a Distribution Upgrade ??
>
> Would appreciate your comments, experiences and why's and why nots ?

Dist upgrade, as long as you haven't screwed your system by using
tools like automatix. Dist upgrade will preserve your
settings/profiles, properly upgrade your apps to newer version etc.

I have been doing dist upgrade since Ubuntu 5.04 (5.04 -> 5.10 -> 6.06
-> 6.10) and never had major issues.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.