[ubuntu-in] SCIM all Indian Languages Baraha system

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Aug 16 07:36:37 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 20:37 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
[...]
> There are many, many users of Baraha who cannot read the script of
> another's language but have an oral knowledge of it. So that if for
> example a native Gujarati speaker who knows Bangla but cannot read it,
> receives a letter in Bengali script, then he/she can give the order to
> convert the letter to Gujarati script and thereby easily read it.
[...]

Yes, I see that it has some benefit along the lines of what you describe
above, but I think that it rapidly becomes unusable, especially across
vastly different languages. In any case, it did not take much effort to
create the transliterator.

> I have read through the directions you provided, and it seems very
> interesting although I do not have the time that would be needed to
> carefully go through, fully understand and implement it just now.
> Perhaps another of the ubuntu-in readers who has interest, knowledge,
> and time could try it out and let us know how it works.

It is actually quite easy to install the transliterator, though the
complete instructions might seem intimidating. To short-circuit the
process, I am sending you off-list a smaller package that will install
more easily. If you are willing to try it out, please continue the
discussion on-list, so that others can join in. I would also invite
other people to try it out.

Regards,
Gora

P.S. I will reply to your other messages tonight.