[ubuntu-in] SCIM keymap for Hindi Baraha system

Dinbandhu dinbandhu at sprynet.com
Fri Aug 10 15:22:59 BST 2007

> OK, this is fine. Can you clarify one thing for me? The person I was
> working with claimed that the "a" to make a complete consonant was
> optional, i.e., both "k", and "ka" would make क in Hindi. Is that
> correct? That confused me because I could not figure out how Baraha
> would then distinguish whether "kra" was "क्र" or "कर".

Kindly excuse me, but that is not at all what I told you. What I told
you was, that in Baraha the use of "a" to make a complete consonant is
optional at the END of the word. (NOT in the middle of the word.)

In the last consonant of a word, Baraha gives the user the option of
using an "a" afterward or not according to the user's convenience and
habit. --Either way, the consonant will be full.

In contrast, in the MIDDLE of a word, the consonant is always considered
by Baraha as a half-consonant unless one puts an "a" after it. That is
why there is no need for any halant sign in order to make a conjunct.

> I could not figure out how Baraha
> would then distinguish whether "kra" was "क्र" or "कर".

"kra" is ALWAYS "क्र" in Baraha.

There is no question of "kra" ever being "कर".

Think of it this way: the consonant in Baraha is always considered as
full, unless followed by another consonant. In that case, it will be
seen as a half-consonant and will join with it to form a conjunct.

Regards,
Swarup