[ubuntu-in] How to Use GPRS mobile office in Ubuntu

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:59:33 BST 2007

Hi,

On 8/3/07, Francis Bosco <ifrbose at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using airtel mobile office GPRS net connection in my Motorolla phone.
> for connecting my systems to internet thru' GPRS there is one option in my
> motorolla phone tools software. Any equalent options available?

Follow this HOWTO:
http://markus.wernig.net/en/it/usb-serial-handy-ppp.phtml

It shouldn't be difficult. Let us know if you get stuck.

Sample file(s):
/etc/ppp/peers/gprs

user USER
password PASSWORD
defaultroute
/dev/ttyACM0
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/gprsmodem.chat"
debug
kdebug 4
ipcp-no-addresses
noipdefault
noauth
novj
noccp

Just change /dev/ttyACM0 accordingly.

/etc/ppp/gprsmodem.chat

'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO ANSWER'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
'' 'ATZ'
'TIMEOUT' '10'
'OK' 'ATM1L1'
## This is done by pppd 'OK' 'AT&f+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet","",0,0'
'OK' 'ATDT*99#'
'CONNECT' ''

Connect using:

    pppd call gprs

Here is a list of packages for Gentoo, but, packages should work on all distros:
http://www.gentooexperimental.org/~karltk/package-index/categories/net-dialup.html

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan