[ubuntu-in] Hey Geeks!!!!!!!!

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 15:54:09 BST 2007

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re:  Hey Geeks!!!!!!!! (withblessings at gmail.com)
>    2. Re:  ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 17, Issue 20 (Anindya Mukherjee)

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:56:40 +0530
> From: withblessings at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-in] Hey Geeks!!!!!!!!
> To: gora at sarai.net, "Ubuntu India Local Community"
>         <ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
>            ???? ??? ???   ???? ??? ???   ??????  ?????
>            (Please view in Ubuntu  as well as in MSwindows)
> Dear  ????,   ????,
> Kindly test yourself in ubuntu especially Kannada which does not display
> character (even using character map) correctly and does not have phonetic
> whereas Hindi already have. As such I have discontnued ubuntu since even
> email typed in kannada does not display whereas in windows perfectly
> displayed.
> I have tried with scim-m17n  - but I could not succeded to install phonetic
> key layout for Kannada.
> I shall be more happy to have single phonetic keyboard for all Indian
> Languages similar to baraha or Microsoft Input Tool(beta).  for benefit of
> Linux users of all Indian Lang.
>
> With Best of Luck,
> -74yrsold
>

> On 7/31/07, Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 13:00 +0530, withblessings at gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hey Jagadesh,
> > > you are welcome. Since software engg. will you please create Linux
> > > phonetic input tool for all Indian langauges similar to baraha
> > > (www.baraha.com) and Microsoft phonetic input tool?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been meaning to follow up to you, as you keep mentioning
> > Baraha. I am working with someone to implement a Baraha keymap for
> > Hindi, but it will take at least a few more days. However, there
> > are already phonetic keymaps using SCIM that follow de-facto
> > standards like ITRANS, and not some proprietary scheme used by
> > a closed-source company.
> >
> > To install on Ubuntu, do,
> >
> >   sudo apt-get install scim scim-tables-additional scim-m17n
> >
> > Restart SCIM if you already had it running (log out, and back in,
> > if nothing else), open gedit, right-click in the edit area,
> > and choose Input Methods > SCIM input method. This will open a
> > small SCIM wndow, probably at the top right. Move the mouse on
> > to that window, click on where it says English/Keyboard, and
> > choose Hindi > M17N-hi-itrans for Hindi. See
> > http://www.aczoom.com/itrans/dvnc/node3.html for the layout.
> > There should also be a different phonetic keyboard, labelled
> > "Phonetic" under Hindi.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gora
> >

> > --

Hi all,
         Gora would be looking forward to your baraha as & when it
happens. As of right now I am using bolnagri & sometimes hindi
phonetic as well hindi itrans . Hopefully the installation
instructions are just as good & will it be able to play with the other
two installed (compatibility) ?

--
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17