[ubuntu-in] Suggestions needed please

mehul mehul.forums at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:47:49 BST 2007

On 4/23/07, Akshay Rao <akshay.jrao at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu Dapper (with KDE desktop :D ) on this PC, it seems
> to me that the applications running tax the system too much, the response to
> some of the events on desktop are really slow :(
>
> I use Firefox , Gaim , OpenOffice , Beep Media Player , MPlayer ,VLC ,
> XCHM , XPDF, Gedit very frequently.
>
> I tried to install Feisty on this comp through the alternate CD , and as
> expected it was a disaster! i seemed to have murdered the System! :(
>
> Now my question is : is it feasible to install Xubuntu (7.04) on this PC?

Yes you can. But if the system is still working. Just install
xubuntu-desktop from apt it will save you lot of downloading.
xubuntu-desktop should come to around 50-60MB but I am
not 100% sure as to it's size.
Alternatively, there are other window managers you could
give a try, too. There's fluxbox, fvwm again which are quite
light. There are many other window managers too which you
can check for yourself if they suit you or not.

If so, can i Run all the apps mentioned above on Xubuntu? (mainly Open
> Office, Beep and Mplayer) ?

Yes they will run. As for OpenOffice.org, try if other office apps
suffice what you need. OpenOffice.org is quite heavier specially
on lower end systems.

I need to have AMP server running (my college needs) and Also Java 5 (Again
> college needs)
>
> apart from these, i want to have Python and Perl (My interests :) )

Yeah you can have them running very well too.
If the required libraries are installed then there won't be any
problems even if KDE/GNOME/XFCE aren't installed.

Hope that helps you.