[ubuntu-in] New to uBuntu

Jayesh @ Bangalore jayeshatbangalore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 11:13:57 BST 2007

Roshan, Parthan and Ravi Kumar,

Thanks for replying me with the answer I required.

Now few more question to answer which also will support me.

I am using windows as of now and want to install linux (uBuntu) in one
seperate partition and later after 1 or 2 months when I will feel
comfortable with linux, want to delete windows partition. Till the time
(approx 1 or 2 months) i would like to work on windows while experimenting
with linux.

Last time I tried to installed Cent OS (Linux flavor) on my Windows System
in a seperate partition but it removed my windows files and my all the data
files in my system but this time I will not be able to afford to lose my
data files on windows and I would also like to be flexible to run windows
files in linux. I have heard before that is very much possible but I do not
have any clue how to ?

I would also like to have flexibility to use the same files in windows and
linux. I mean to say, suppose i am not much comfortable with uBuntu in few
days, what ever files I will create in uBuntu should run on windows so that
I can remove uBuntu and try another flavor or linux like SUSE or Fedora. So
how to gain this flexibility ?

Can you give me list of Linux Flavors:

1. Red Hat Linux
2. Fedora ( based on Red Hat Technologies )
3. Debian Linux
4. uBuntu ( based on Debian Technologies )
5. SUSE Linux ( based on ??? )
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Out of these flavors, which flavors are suitable for enterprise use instead
of just ordinary desktop use.

Which is better ?

I have PIII 733 MHz System with 128 MB Ram and 80 GB HDD, so which will suit
best to this configuration and which will be the second, third, forth best
OS for this configuration ?

I would also like to know if any body are based in Bangalore in this mailing
list whom I can talk offline as well.

Regards
Jayesh @ Bangalore