[ubuntu-in] Help on projects in open source

Parthan parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:43:41 BST 2007

Francis Bosco wrote:
> Hi
>         I wish to do my projects which is part of my B.Tech degree, in
> Open source Platform.
> But don't have much idea about it.
> Can anyone here can help me on which are all the languages i should know
> and what are the
> ways or what tools can i develop for ubuntu or linux platform

Good that you wish to do projects in OSS. (F)OSS is an ocean and if you
want to fish there, first you need to decide on what fish(es) you want
to fish for. Without knowing that, its not wise to go for fishing.

So, first USE, then PLAY and then CONTRIBUTE. You have to select in
which area you want to work on, so that you can focus on preparing
related tools available. For example, Web development, GUI development,
Linux Device Drivers and Embedded Systems, Localization, Mobile
technology, Networking, Security are a few to name. It depends on what
your interests are, for you to choose what you wish to work on.

As you are in B.E. I will be surprised if you say you are not proficient
in at least C. What matters is whether you have the basics right. Then,
you can manage with any programming language. If you have the ability to
get the logic right, then language is just a tool to get your job then.

So, first decide on what you would like to work. Learning programming
language comes later.

--
With Regards

Parthan (TechnoFreak)