[ubuntu-in] Help with Squid, unable to start

mehul mehul.forums at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:11:56 BST 2007

On 4/3/07, Akshay Rao wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am getting the below mentioned error when i try to start squid dameon.
> :(
> kindly help, i am desparate to get the internet sharing in my home lan..
>
> error :
> akshay at aks-host:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/squid start
>  * Starting Squid HTTP proxy squid  * Creating squid spool directory
> structure
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
> 'visible_hostname'

So here's the error, your FQDN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FQDN just in
case you
didn't know) is missing. Check the output of hostname -f.
You can set it up in the file /etc/hosts(or maybe /etc/hostname), there
might be a
another way to do
it too on ubuntu but I am not so aware of it, this should work.
Here's something I found via google
http://mail.linux.ie/pipermail/ilug/2007-March/092744.html