[ubuntu-in] My Saga of upgrading Dapper to Edgy

Anurag anurag at web.gnuer.org
Mon Oct 30 19:24:45 GMT 2006

Hi RajaSekhar,

On 10/30/06, RajaSekhar Yeruva <ysrajasekharreddy at xxxxxx> wrote:
> download it again. I copied all the .deb present in
> the CD to /var/cache/apt/archies/ folder. By default
> all are read-only, So, I gave 777 permissions to all
> the debs in the directory. (Not sure if its the
> correct thing to do But my R&D shows this method
> actually works).

``$ chmod a+r *.deb''  should have worked. There's no point giving
execute permissions to dead non-executable files. Even giving write
permission makes no difference.

> Two instances of dist upgrade is required for upstart
> to install. Now I crossed my fingers and rebooted the
> system to discover that my x server crashed. That
> system was having a via graphics chip. After little
> googling with txt browser elinks I managed to find the
> fix.

Cool! that's the way to keep fighting it out :)

> One its done I rebooted again. I could have simply
> typed startx command.

no, you could have typed ``sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart''

> Conclusions:
> 1. Best way to upgrade is to do a fresh install.

If you are doing a fresh install then that cannot be called an
upgrade. Debian's apt provides powerful mechanism of dist-upgrades and
we should try using it only. It saves lot of time if you have several
packages already installed on the system. Though yes, one has to be
ready for some adventures :)

> 4. Many people say backup your important personal
> files. I don't see a reason to do it. At the most it
> will only screw up the x server or some device error.

I dont quite agree with it. If you have data and if it means something
to you, then just take a backup without giving false justifications to
oneself.

> There is no way t can wipe out your hard disk. So, It
> is safe you continue with out backing up. Worst case

I remember a friend of mine managed to erase his entire home directory
while compiling kde packages. i cannot emphasise more.

> Suggestion:
> 1. Plan a weekend to do upgrade.

Not necessarily, I upgraded 4 machines in 5 hours by setting up a
local ``apt-cacher'' server :)

--
Anurag <http://www.gnuer.org>