[ubuntu-in] Tamil support: Ubuntu Drapper Beta

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Sun May 7 05:59:07 BST 2006

Hi Gora,

On 5/7/06, gora at sarai.net <gora at sarai.net> wrote:
> I am missing something here. The picture in question shows a gedit window.
> What does this have to do with gdm?

Because you can select the language option in gdm.

When I login using US English language option, I am able to get the
proper tamil encoding in gedit or gaim or bluefish editor.

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/tamil/text-editor.jpg

For example, if I type ம +ு, it will change to மு.

But, when I login using Tamil language option, I don't get the above
proper tamil translation.

The above two characters get displayed as two separate characters, ம ு.

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/tamil/input-error.jpg

> Now, what do you need to happen with gdm? Do you want the login screen
> (username/password prompts, etc.) to appear in Malayalam?

No.

> Do you want
> to be able to log in with username and password in Malayalam?

No.

Regards,

SK

--