[ubuntu-in] Tamil support: Ubuntu Drapper Beta

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:52:39 BST 2006

Greetings!

I have installed Ubuntu Dapper Beta on my T41. Installation was
smooth. Will put up documentation webpage soon.

Treat me as a "new be" here.

I am currently testing tamil support in this distro. I have installed
ttf-indic-fonts, scim, gnome-language-ta et. al.

* Able to use tamil keyboard input (UTF-8) with Gedit, Gaim, Abiword,
Vim and Mozilla Firefox.

* Have setup CAPS lock key to switch between US and tamil unicode.

* In gnome-termial, when doing a cat on a tamil file, the "dots" are
printed separately, and certain double-characters are interchanged:

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/tamil/terminal.jpg

* Gnome tamil interface is also good. I still need clarification on
couple of things:

1. Gaim, Firefox and Gedit automatically do the translation as per our
written tamil when I enter into US language (from gdm) and switch to
tamil unicode keyboard typing:

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/tamil/text-editor.jpg

On the other hand, if I login into gdm with Tamil language gnome
interface, the above automatic translation does not happen. I get the
"o" and "oo" as unicode formats, as also seen from:

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/tamil/terminal.jpg

Why is this so?

I'd like to use tamil gnome interface and also be able to get the
written tamil form for "o" and "oo" appended to the characters. How
can this be fixed?

2. Not all gnome menus have been translated to tamil. Whom should I
contact for this?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanking you,

SK