[ubuntu-in] How to play chess with computer in Ubuntu ?

Vilas Sukhadeve vilas_sukhadeve at dataone.in
Wed Jun 14 16:46:31 BST 2006

Dear Friends,
        I have downloaded the chess software like
        gnome-chess,gnu-chess,knights,xboard,eboard,phalanx,sjeng either
        through
        Terminal or Synaptics. But I am just unable to open them and
        start
        playing with the computer. This I would like to do for my kids
        so that
        they can become friendly with the Ubuntu. Mine is Ubuntu 5.10
        Breezy.
        If I open the launchpad then what shall type there so that it
        can be
        visible on the desktop and any body can just open and start
        playing as
        and when one feel like playing. If ones this is done then it can
        be
        helpful in future down loads and using the programmes.
        How is the Ubuntu 6 ? Has any body of you tried it?
        Thanks !
        Vilas