[ubuntu-in] Configuring the sound card in Linux

Shankar Ganesh techgurushankar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 16:30:42 BST 2006

Hi there!

 I have got a Compaq Presario SR1630IL PC with Intel High Definition Audio.
 The PC has got:
   Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519K (Intel EM64T) 64-bit technology;
    (1 MB Cache, 3.06 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)
   Intel 915GV Chipset
   256 MB DDR2 PC2-3200 RAM
   80 GB Serial ATA
   CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
   Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900, DVMT 3.0 - Upto 128 MB.

 The problem that I have is I cannot get my system play music when running
linux. I tried three linux distros - Mandrake, Fedora core 3, and Ubuntu
5.10. None of them are able to play music. Not even those open source .ogg
formats. Now, I only have Ubuntu running at this point of time. I am
satisfied with it except that it gives the error "Unable to open resource
for writing" when opening the Ogg formats. What must be the problem? Anyone
has got a solution?

Shankar Ganesh.

"Linux-A weapon of mass construction"