[ubuntu-in] m17n-lib deb required

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 06:41:16 GMT 2006

On 12/5/06, Aniruddha Shankar <karim at sarai.net> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I'm trying to get skim + scim + m17n-lib to work on Kubuntu Edgy. One major
> issue that was present was the inability to use scim+m17n-lib with Firefox and
> Openoffice.org . This has been fixed (
> http://www.scim-im.org/news/imengines_news/scim_m17n_0_2_2 ) in m17n-lib 0.2.2,
> but this is not available in the package repositories.
>
> 1. Can some kind soul
>                 a) Create a .deb for m17n-lib and tell the list where they've uploaded it?
>                 b) Tell us how they created the .deb ? I installed build-essential and
> checkinstall, went to the directory where I'd untargzed it and ran ./configure -
> which failed, complaining that it couldn't find scim. Alternately, assistance on
> how to continue from there onward (passing special flags to configure and the
> like) would also be appreciated.

When configure script complains about absence of some package it
mostly means absence of corresponding -dev package (scim-dev in your
case). Try to locate such packages and keep running configure script
until you get no errors.

After configure script is successful do 'sudo checkinstall -D make install'

> 2. Can this version of the package be accepted in the ubuntu repository?
If you want to contribute newer version of package to ubuntu then it
requires much more than using checkinstall.
(http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/index.html)

The only way a for new version of package to appear in stable release
(edgy in this case) is through backports.
For that the package needs to be there in the current unstable version
(feisty). Ususally packages in ubuntu unstable are synced from debian
unstable.
Try logging a bug against feisty in launchpad for the newer version.
Once it is done you can file a bug for backport.

Hope this helps.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.