[ubuntu-in] Fwd: No Starch Press releases "Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks"

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 17:53:02 BST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Patricia Witkin <nostarchpr at oreilly.com>
Date: Aug 2, 2006 8:09 PM
Subject: No Starch Press releases "Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks"
To: soumyadip.modak at gmail.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media contact:  Patricia Witkin
patricia at nostarch.com
415.863.9900 x303

The Only Ubuntu Book Anyone Needs--Really
In crowded field, new Ubuntu title by popular Non-Geeks author stands out

San Francisco, CA--Ubuntu is the undisputed leader of the pack
of new Linux distributions designed specifically with the novice user in
mind. Despite great strides in usability, however, Ubuntu is still Linux
and therefore, geekier than most other operating systems. New users need
help getting started. "Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks: A Pain-Free,
Project-Based, Get-Things-Done Guidebook" (No Starch Press, August 2006,
http://www.nostarch.com/ubuntu.htm) is written by a teacher/author who has
made his name explaining tech concepts to novices. "As a teacher, Rickford
has a natural talent for anticipating when and how a newbie will goof up,"
said one writer for the Linux website Mad Penguin.

Full of tips, tricks, and helpful pointers, "Ubuntu Linux For Non-Geeks" is
a hands-on, project-based, take-it-slow, guidebook intended for those
interested in--but nervous about--entering the world of Linux. Using
immersion-learning techniques favored by language courses, step-by-step
projects build upon earlier tutorial concepts, helping readers absorb and
apply what they've learned.

This new book doesn't talk down to readers or overwhelm them with
geek-speak. Instead, it makes them feel comfortable using Ubuntu, allowing
them to hit the ground running and perform tasks like a seasoned pro in no
time at all. "Rickford Grant captures an energy and enthusiasm that is
clearly instructive," according to Kickstart News.

"Ubuntu Linux For Non-Geeks" covers all the topics likely to be of interest
to an average desktop user. Inside, you'll learn to:

-Download and install free applications, games, and utilities

-Connect to the Internet and wireless networks

-Configure your hardware, including printers, scanners, and removable
 storage devices

-Watch DVDs, listen to music, and even sync your iPod

-Tackle more advanced tasks, such as converting RPMs to DEB files,
 compiling software from source, and handling software based on Java,
 Python and Tcl/Tk

Additional Resources:

Table of contents: http://www.nostarch.com/ubuntu_toc.htm

Sample chapter: http://www.nostarch.com/download/ubuntu_ch7.pdf

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Rickford Grant, author of "Linux for Non-Geeks" and "Linux
Made Easy" (both No Starch Press), has been a computer operating system
maniac for more than 20 years. From his earliest days with his Atari XL600
to his present Linux machines, he has been the guy at the other end of the
computer help line for family, friends, and colleagues. Currently residing
in Raritan, N.J., Rickford spends his working hours as a teacher, and his
free time cycling along the Delaware & Raritan Canal or annoying his
neighbors with his Nyckelharpa (Swedish key fiddle) playing.

Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks
Rickford Grant
August 2006, 360 pp. w/ CD,
ISBN 1-59327-118-2, $34.95 US

Available at fine bookstores everywhere, from www.oreilly.com/nostarch, or
directly from No Starch Press (www.nostarch.com, orders at nostarch.com,
800.420.7240).

ABOUT NO STARCH PRESS: Founded in 1994, No Starch Press is one of the few
remaining independent computer book publishers. We publish the finest in
geek entertainment-unique books on technology, with a focus on Open
Source, security, hacking, programming, and alternative operating systems.
Our titles have personality, our authors are passionate, and our books
tackle topics that people care about. See www.nostarch.com for more
information and our complete online catalog. (And most No Starch Press
books use RepKover, a lay-flat binding that won't snap shut.)

# # #

--
Soumyadip Modak
soumyadip.modak at gmail.com