UDS-N Remote participation how to get involved

Laura Czajkowski laura at lczajkowski.com
Tue Oct 19 15:06:42 BST 2010

  Aloha folks just thought I'd drop you a line with some information on
how to get involved during UDS-N even if you can't be present we still
want to have you taking part and contributing.

HOW TO GET THE MOST FROM SESSIONS

1- The first thing you should do is register your attendance for remote
participation - https://launchpad.net/sprints/uds-m/+attend

2- Have a look at the time table – handy to know in advance what is
going on each day and what sessions you may want to attend.-
summit.ubuntu.com/uds-n/

3- Join the channel that the room is set up for, remember each room will
hold a different track and session throughout the week

Grand Sierra D (Plenaries)
Antigua 1
Antigua 2
Antigua 3
Antigua 4
Bonaire 1
Bonaire 2
Bonaire 4
Bonaire 5
Bonaire 6
Bonaire 7
Bonaire 8
Curacao 1
Curacao 12
Curacao 34

4- When participating in the session, remember it is streamed if you
cannot hear us talking say so on IRC, keep telling us to speak up or say
who is talking so you are involved in the session.
http://icecast.ubuntu.com:8000/

5- If you want to get your point heard and you feel it’s not being
noticed, remember we will be in a room with laptops and chatting just
keep poking someone and your point will be read aloud or pointed to on
screen. Please be patient also, as discussions will take place do not
flood the channels with the same comment over and over.

6- Don’t forget even if you are not there, you can still take on tasks
when we look for people to help with things.

7- We take breaks when attending, getting up stretching legs and getting
fresh air, please remember to take breaks also! Make yourself
comfortable, sometimes wearing a set of earphones when it’s streaming
gives better clarity.

8- A stream of all Ubuntu and UDS posts made to Identi.ca,
Twitter,(#uds) and Flickr can be found on the livestream or if you just
want to follow a certain track here is a list of them</p>

http://identi.ca/udscommunity - udscommunity
http://identi.ca/udskernel - udskernel
http://identi.ca/udsqa - udsqa
http://identi.ca/udsfoundations - udsfoundations
http://identi.ca/udsmobile - udsmobile
http://identi.ca/udsdesktop - udsdesktop
http://identi.ca/udsserver - udsserver

9- Gobby is used at UDS to collaborate on the specifications that are
being written and to facilitate remote participation. To take part,
please install Gobby (available in universe) and tell it to connect to
gobby.ubuntu.com. You will be presented with a list of documents being
edited. During any session or meeting, and particularly at the end of
one, please do make a local backup of your documents. There is a new
gobby in karmic, gobby-infinote, we will NOT be using this at UDS since
we need for people on older releases to participate. Ensure you are
using the “gobby” package.

Finally, to take part I’d suggest a few things, have the channels joined
before hand , a browser open with the timetable on it and remember each
Room will have a different track topic in it at different times. If you
have the icecast running, perhaps wear a set of headphones so you can
hear better without distractions.

If you’re in a channel and someone is talking and they are faint do
write on the channel asking them to *SPEAK UP YOU CANNOT HEAR THEM* you
won’t be the only one!
If you make a comment on IRC and you want it to be conveyed to the
people in the room, tell someone, perhaps make it *bold* so it stands
out if it’s a busy discussion. But do poke again if it was missed and
you want it conveyed.

Use gobby, and take part, you are a part of the community also, you’re
comments are needed to help shape Narwhal. Save the document afterwards
locally if you like so you have a reference for it, this is just handy
so you can reference the work throughout the cycle.

Laura

--

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/czajkowski
http://www.lczajkowski.com