UDS Remote participation

Laura Czajkowski laura at lczajkowski.com
Tue May 4 19:27:12 BST 2010

Aloha!
With UDS just around the corner I thought it a good time to remind you
all that even though you may not be physically attending UDS your
contributions, comments and participation is needed and encouraged.

HOW TO GET THE MOST FROM SESSIONS

1- Register your attendance for remote participation, -
https://launchpad.net/sprints/uds-m/+attend

2- Have a look at the time table - http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-m/

3- Join the channel that the room is set up for, remember each room will
hold a different track and topic throughout the week.

    * #ubuntu-uds-auditorium-canopee
    * #ubuntu-uds-amarente
    * #ubuntu-uds-bois-dentelle
    * #ubuntu-uds-cocobolo-1
    * #ubuntu-uds-cocobolo-2
    * #ubuntu-uds-cocobolo-3
    * #ubuntu-uds-delfino
    * #ubuntu-uds-ebene
    * #ubuntu-uds-flamboyant
    * #ubuntu-uds-ginko
    * #ubuntu-uds-jatoba
    * #ubuntu-uds-kawi
    * #ubuntu-uds-mohogany
    * #ubuntu-uds-mangrove-3
    * #ubuntu-uds-mangrove-4
    * #ubuntu-uds-palissandre
    * #ubuntu-uds-rosewood
    * #ubuntu-uds-snakewood
    * #ubuntu-uds-teck

4- When participating in the session, remember it is streamed
http://icecast.ubuntu.com/ if you cannot hear us talking say so on IRC,
keep telling us to speak up or say who is talking so you are involved in
the session.

5- If you want to get your point heard and you feel it's not being
noticed, remember we will be in a room with laptops and chatting just
keep poking someone and your point will be read aloud or pointed to on
screen. Please be patient also, as discussions will take place do not
flood the channels with the same comment over and over.

6- Don't forget even if you are not there, you can still take on tasks
when we look for people to help with things.

7- We take breaks when attending, getting up stretching legs and getting
fresh air, please remember to do so also! Make yourself comfortable,
sometimes wearing a set of earphones when it's streaming gives better
clarity.

8- A stream of all Ubuntu and UDS posts made to Identi.ca,
Twitter,(#uds) and Flickr can be found at
http://summit.ubuntu.com/media/lifestream.html or if you just want to
follow a certain track here is a list of them

    * @udscommunity <http://identi.ca/udscommunity>

    * @udskernel <http://identi.ca/udskernel>
    * @udsqa <http://identi.ca/udsqa>
    * @udsfoundations <http://identi.ca/udsfoundations>
    * @udsmobile <http://identi.ca/udsmobile>
    * @udsdesktop <http://identi.ca/udsdesktop>
    * @udsserver <http://identi.ca/udsserver>

9- Gobby <apt://gobby> is being used at UDS to collaborate on the
specifications that are being written and to facilitate remote
participation.

To take part, please install Gobby <apt://gobby> (available in universe)
and tell it to connect to gobby.ubuntu.com. You will be presented with a
list of documents being edited. During any session or meeting, and
particularly at the end of one, please do make a local backup of your
documents. *WARNING:* There is a new gobby in karmic, gobby-infinote, we
will NOT be using this at UDS since we need for people on older releases
to participate. Ensure you are using the “gobby” package.

Finally, to take part I’d suggest a few things, have the channels joined
before hand, a browser open with the timetable
<http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-l/> on it and remember each Room will have
a different track topic in it at different times. If you have the
icecast running, perhaps wear a set of headphones so you can hear better
without distractions. If you’re in a channel and someone is talking and
they are faint do write on the channel asking them to *SPEAK UP YOU
CANNOT HEAR THEM*! you won’t be the only one!

If you make a comment on IRC and you want it to be conveyed to the
people in the room, tell someone, perhaps make it *bold* so it stands
out if it’s a busy discussion. But do poke again if it was missed and
you want it conveyed.

Use gobby, and take part, you are a part of the community also, you’re
comments are needed to help shape Lucid. Save the document afterwards
locally if you like so you have a reference for it, I found that useful
2-3 months down the line when I wanted to refer to ideas that came up
last November.

One other thing, on freenode you are limited to join a maximum of 20
channels. If you need to join more you need to join #freenode and ask a
staffer there to allow you to join 20+ .

Laura

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/czajkowski
http://www.lczajkowski.com
Skype: lauraczajkowski