Help & Advice

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sun Feb 21 20:57:11 GMT 2010

Hi Peadar.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. From reading your email I can't
immediatly see what's the problem. Usually wiping and re-installing is a
catch-all way to fix most things. But on a netbook (with no CD) it can
be harder. It's something I'd have to sit down in front of it and have a
got at it. :)

We are having our monthly 'Ubuntu Hour' next Wednesday 24th from 6pm in
the Trinity Capital Bar, Pearse St., Dublin, but that's probably a bit
far for you! (http://www.ubuntu-ie.org/node/88). That sort of event can
be great to bring your broken netbook to and someone there can have a look.

I'm sending this email to the main Ubuntu Ireland mailing list, perhaps
there might be someone in Cork, or someone wants to do an 'Ubuntu Hour'
there.

One solution I can think of is to press Control-Alt-F1 (at the same
time), and then you get into non-graphical mode. You can log in there
(with the same username & password), and do commands. You can do a full
software update with "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade".
Perhaps doing a full softwaren upgrade might help fix/upgrade broken
software.

However to do that you need internet access. Getting connected to the
internet from non-graphical mode is not as easy as graphical mode, and
depends on your set up.

Does anyone else (from Ubuntu Ireland) have any ideas to help?

Rory