ubuntu-ie not an approved LoCo + SFD 2008

Mean Machine bymeanmachine at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:16:48 BST 2008

Hello all,

the below email is a bit embarrassing for me as a LoCo Point of Contact,
but you all have to know where do we currently stand as a Local
Community.

Somehow I've overlooked the fact that we're not an approved LoCo Team,
when I tried to order a pack of ubuntu CDs for us.

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 15:58 +0200, Marilize Coetzee wrote:
> Hi
>
> These packs are only for the approved Loco Teams, as stated on the
> website. According to the information I have you are are not an
> approved Loco Team as yet.
>
> Kind regards
> Marilize

As I haven't been with ubuntu-ie from the very beginning I was just
assuming that we were an approved Team.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoGettingApproved will give you all
information on what has to be done before we can apply for approval.

You'll see that we need to show a proof of experience i.e. what have we
done so far. At least three activities are recommended before applying
for approval.

Why should we bother?

When you become an approved team, it will make you eligible for certain
benefits such as marketing materials, discounts or possibilities. An
approved team is also considered officially by the Ubuntu project.
Approved teams will be re-assessed yearly to maintain their approved
status.

I know there is a lot of potential within this team to keep us going in
the right direction.

The ubuntu-ie office in Dublin is a big step forward. Having this
location we can now organize events and provide face-to-face support.

Hope to see you around soon!

Plans for the near future...?

Worldwide Software Freedom Day 2008! http://softwarefreedomday.org/
Saturday, 20th September

http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/europe/ireland/ubuntu-ie

The sooner we start organizing this celebration, the better it will be.

Share your ideas! Spread the word! Get involved!

--
Kind Regards,
Mean-Machine