First Support Team meeting

Alexandre Vassalotti avassalotti at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 14 17:27:33 BST 2007

On 4/14/07, Ralph Janke <rjanke at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> I will try to be there if I can make it (which shouldn't be a problem).
>
> For a topic: I think one of the biggest issues in Support is to get
> reliable and good information from the "customers". I would like to see
> some way in which we could build a way similar to apport for bugs, in
> which the collection and presentation of certain information can be
> automised and the users don't have to be guided through every single
> step in the commandline interface. I know this is very ambitious, but
> probably worth a thought.
>
> Thanks for the invitation.
> Ralph (txwikinger)

This would surely possible, to have some sort of information
collecting tool. However, how much information do we need? Unlike
bugs, support requests often don't depend on the system configuration
(most are of the type: "How I do this?", "How I fix that?"). On the
other hand, a such tool would certain be useful for problems related
to the X server. I think the pastebin tool, developed by Denis
Kaarsemaker, could be useful for that.

Also, getting the Ubuntu release of the requester is using would be an
easy thing to do (i.e., just parse the User-agent field in the HTTP
request). And, having this information collected automatically would
certainly be useful.

-- Alexandre