[ubuntu-hardened] Making security notices searchable

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Sun Oct 13 09:55:45 UTC 2019

Hi folks

On Canonical’s Web & Design team, I’m working on a project to design how
the USN tracker <https://usn.ubuntu.com/> can become part of the main
ubuntu.com site.

This will have several benefits, including the tracker being easier to
find, more obvious linking to and from other Ubuntu security info
<https://ubuntu.com/security>, and staying in sync with the look of the
rest of ubuntu.com.

As part of this, I’m considering adding a search function, so that you
can search security notices by Details text, with filters for Release
and Package.

So, I’m interested in knowing:

*   Is there any current method of searching USNs? (Other than using
    “site:usn.ubuntu.com” with a global search engine, or grepping the
    usn.ubuntu.com Git repo.)

*   If any search showed results sorted newest first, would there be any
    use case for searching notices by date? (For example, show me only
    notices posted in 2017.)

*   Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks
--
mpt