[ubuntu-hardened] Hardening Network Security Questions

bobby architectofthefuture at gmail.com
Fri May 18 15:29:47 UTC 2018

I was on the ubuntu forums, and a user had posted this:

Always have both a hardware AND software firewall.
Don't trust other computers on the same LAN implicitly. One of them may
have been hacked and is being used to attack all other systems

I had some clarification questions on these:
1. I am running iptables on my server. Is this not enough? Is a hardware
device recommended as well?
2. How is this acted upon? How do I protect myself internally, from these
types of attacks?