[ubuntu-hardened] intel{, amd64}-microcode packages and where is the microcode option (vide "Software & Updates - Additional Drivers" tab)?

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Wed May 9 22:48:09 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 06:13:49PM +0000, daniel curtis wrote:
> So, I would like to ask if it was normal, that apt(8) installed such
> packages? And why both since it's an Intel processor (but with 64. bit

Hello Daniel,

We're going to modify the kernel packages to require the cpu microcode
packages to be installed. APT cannot decide whether or not to install
the microcode packages based on the CPU in use. Everyone will have the
pacakges installed, regardless if Intel has provided any useful fixes
for any specific CPU.

I strongly recommend leaving this alone and just install the updates as
we pass them along from Intel. You do not gain anything from trying to
second-guess Intel's fixes, if any.

Thanks