[ubuntu-hardened] 16.04 LTS: W^X detection - lack of a config options; X86_PTDUMP_CORE and DEBUG_WX

daniel curtis sidetripping at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 14:32:32 UTC 2017

Hello Seth

Thanks for an answer. I was surprised, that there is no W^X detection
related options (such as CONFIG_DEBUG_WX etc.) Mr Kees Cook mentioned about
this on his blog: "(...) added in v4.4 which performs a scan of memory at
boot time and yells loudly if unexpected memory protection are found." [1]

>> This configuration is set in our newer kernels.

I can get this configuration by installing kernel HWE/LTS Enablement Stacks
for 16.04.2 release, right?

Thanks, best regards.