[ubuntu-hardened] rngd: enable hardware-supported random generators.

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Thu Jan 7 23:09:34 UTC 2016

Hello Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 12:10:42PM +0100, daniel curtis wrote:
> I don't know if, it such situation, I should install, for example, a
> 'tpm-tools' package (management tols for the TPM hardware)?
> And what about BIOS? Should I enable TPM right there? Honestly,
> I don't know even, whether there is such an option. I mean BIOS;
> I must check it.

Perhaps your BIOS has options to enable or disable the TPM; I haven't
seen them but i've not gone looking.

> Maybe, according to .ko files located under /lib/modules/ directory
> I should load tpm modules via 'modprobe' command and that's
> all? (But there is no 'tpm_bios' file.) If it will be necessary, I can
> give you a list of what files are in this directory.

The best documentation I've found is from Kees:
https://outflux.net/blog/archives/2013/08/13/tpm-providing-devhwrng/

The short version, modprobe tpm-rng, add tpm-rng to /etc/modules, and
restart rngd. Surprisingly short. :)

Thanks