[ubuntu-hardened] Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, EoL and security updates.

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Sun Jun 14 18:11:29 UTC 2015

On 06/14/2015 08:44 AM, Daniel Curtis wrote:

> Hello
>
> First of all, I would like to apologize for a question about
> Xubuntu here on the ubuntu-hardened mailinglist. I know,
> that it is not the best place to ask, but I'd have a question
> related to a security updates etc.
>
> Since Xubuntu Developers informed users that the LTS version
> of the Xubuntu 12.04 is no longer supported, as it reached
> End of Life status on April 26, 2015, I'm still receiving security
> updates for installed packages [1].

You can continue to receive updates for packages that are shared
between Xubuntu and Ubuntu.  Ubuntu 12.04 has support on the
desktop and server until May 26, 2017. The Xubuntu specific packages
will however no longer receive security updates.

> I would like to ask, if I can use Xubuntu 12.04 LTS for some more
> time? For now, I can not upgrade to the latest LTS release,
> Xubuntu 14.04, for various reasons. So, if i.e. Linux kernel and
> others packages etc. are still updates, I don't see any obstacles
> to run 12.04 LTS release for some more time.

you can always choose to run a version of *buntu that no longer
receives support. The question is your risk tolerance. Xubuntu
12.04 is no longer supported, and as such parts of the system
are no longer getting security updates. This just means that
over time as security issues are discovered they won't get fixed
in Xubuntu 12.04

> What do You think about it? Xubuntu Developers noticed, that:
> "While it will continue to receive updates from the repository, we
> will no longer be providing any Xubuntu support for packages. Packages provided via Xubuntu-owned PPAs will also be
> discontinued". [2]

correct this is standard for all Ubuntu derivatives, if their
support window is different than Ubuntu. In this particular case
Xubuntu had a 3 year LTS, while Ubuntu a 5 year lts. So the
packages that are shared with Ubuntu will continue to receive
updates from Ubuntu for 2 more years.

> According to the above statement, users can still use Xubuntu
> 12.04 LTS release, right? Of course, users should upgrade as soon
yes, you will not be forced to upgrade

> as possible they systems to the latest release or the next
> LTS variant.
we certainly don't recommend running a system that isn't supported
any more. It is up to you to determine when doing an upgrade is
best for your situation.