[ubuntu-hardened] unconfined versus SE module in Ubuntu Jaunty: SELinux

Scott Smyth ssmyth at sapereconsulting.com
Tue Apr 28 19:24:35 BST 2009

A clarification: the app, lld2d, actually does what
it should when started with init scripts in the correct
runlevel and transitions correctly to "lld2d_t".  What
I was surprised at is that I cannot get lld2d to fail
or report errors when I alter the configuration to
conflict with the SELinux module.  It will always
start as "unconfined" not matter what the conflict
with the loaded policy.

This less restrict approach is what surprised me.
Will that change as jaunty and selinux-policy-ubuntu
reach their final states or will it remain less
restrictive for login and unconfined?

I would like to make it more restrictive if not
like Fedora Core by default.  How should I do this
but not make it less compatible with changes in
selinux-policy-ubuntu?

thx,
Scott