[ubuntu-hardened] [ANN] New vSecurity packages for Breezy Badger and new Hardened Debian website

Lorenzo Hernández García-Hierro lorenzo at gnu.org
Wed Oct 12 15:32:26 CDT 2005

Hi,

I would like to thank the people for asking on the project status. Just
talked with Mark, and also with Andrew. I commented to them that I know
the mistakes I made in the past with the project. For those who don't
know what I'm talking about, it's the way I was handling stuff.

I've been trying to do many things at once, and also independently of
the Ubuntu maintainers and "official members". Thus, I couldn't bring
any solutions.

It's time to change that.

Right now, I have worked out the vSecurity packages for Breezy Badger
that I was doing as part of my bounty proposal (thanks to Martin for the
guidance and help back in the early stages of the packages). I've tested
them and work *out of the box*. The very last bugs have been fixed and
those things that originally needed to be improved, are ready.

 http://pearls.tuxedo-es.org/vsecurity/dist/ubuntu/

It's aptget'able. Please note that amd64 package is missing. The source
is prepared to build it, so, grab the source and then debuild. It will
use amd64-generic Linux kernel headers package.

There's a running BTS at:
http://bugs.tuxedo-es.org/index.php?tasks=all&project=2

mailing lists' group, but not yet announced. I plan to make the
development process more "open" to the public eye, as it's going in
private threads right now and thus, people can't see any activity.

On the other hand, finally, I have set-up a new website for Hardened
Debian and Ubuntu Hardened.

 http://www.debian-hardened.org/doku.php

I decided to run a wiki engine there. I hate static stuff, and more when
it's about collaboration. Hence the new "philosophy". It's still in it's
early stages but we are ready to work from that point.

The page on vSecurity for Ubuntu
(http://www.debian-hardened.org/doku.php/vsecurity_for_ubuntu_linux) is
also incomplete. I designed the logo and not much more, apart of fixing
and uploading the new packages.

So, I hope that helps ;)

On the meeting... I think it will have to happen this weekend, either on
Saturday or Friday. I'm too busy with school and won't be able to do
anything except on weekends.

Best to do: spread the word. I may send an announcement to debian-users
list.

Cheers and many thanks for your attention!
--
Lorenzo Hernández García-Hierro <lorenzo at gnu.org>
[1024D/6F2B2DEC] & [2048g/9AE91A22][http://tuxedo-es.org]