[ubuntu-hardened] Re: Collecting NX information

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 13:14:56 CST 2005

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>>you understand wrongly.
>>>
>>>PT_GNU_STACK just sets the exec permission for the stack (and the heap
>>>now mirrors the stack). Nothing more nothing less.
>>>

>>So then this would be slightly more useful than I had previously
>>thought, bringing control over the randomization as well?
>

> actually Linus was really against adding non-related things to this
> flag. And I think he is right...

I'm not interested in altering and hacking up PT_GNU_STACK; PT_PAX_FLAGS
already supplies enough to do what I want.  My goal is to have
PT_PAX_FLAGS code in mainline and Exec Shield, so that if it exists in
the binary it will be used; else PT_GNU_STACK will be fallen back to.

> Now.. do you have any examples of when you want a binary marked for no-
> randomisation ?? (eg something the setarch flag won't fix/won't be good
> enough for)

What's setarch do for one?  Anyway, ASLR has been known to break some
things.  Blackdown Java used to break IIRC; also there's the poorly
designed Oracle and the poorly designed solution of Oracle on a 32 bit
platform; and of course there's Emacs, which I heard was broken due to
Exec Shield's randomization.  Temporary work-arounds are sometimes needed.

Remember also that I'm not just trying to make a more robust setting for
ES and mainline; I'm trying to find a way to make it so that
distribution maintainers can set one set of flags and have it assure
that the program works in Mainline, Exec Shield, and PaX.  Just a little
less work for the distribution maintainers, which I think would be a
good thing considering that apparently Ubuntu Linux might support both
PaX and Exec Shield in the future, if I'm reading this[1] right.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel/6130

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond