Upgrade 16.04 to 18.04

Bruce Pieterse dev at santura.co.za
Wed May 2 16:44:25 UTC 2018

On 02/05/2018 14:24, Björn Fischer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> with the recent release of the LTS 18.04 I was wondering what I have to do to upgrade my Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.
>

> I've noticed that I only see 18.04 when I enable devel releases. Isn't 18.04 a stable release?
>

> $ do-release-upgrade -d -c
> Checking for a new Ubuntu release
> New release '18.04' available.
> Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
>

> Also, can I choose between vanilla Gnome and the Ubuntu design?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Björn

Hi,

As per the release notes[1], you will need to install *gnome-session*
and *vanilla-gnome-desktop*. You will need to select your desktop
session after the upgrade by clicking on the cog icon before logging in.

I'm not sure why it's still showing as a development release, it was
released over a week ago. Try a *apt update && apt dist-upgrade* first
then proceed with *do-release-upgrade*.

Good luck!

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes (Other highlights
since 16.04 LTS)