Stock Gnome experience

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu Jan 25 11:16:37 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:15:27AM -0700, Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
> By default on Intel you'll use GNOME and that will use Wayland with 17.10.

Yes, but while the default Ubuntu desktop in 17.10 is GNOME, it's
customized GNOME.

vanilla-gnome-desktop seems to be the package to install if you want the
upstream GNOME experience.

(I didn't know about the existence of this package before today.  I
think I had gnome-session installed, and I manually switched the GDM
theme to gnome-shell.css with sudo update-alternatives --config gdm3.css
as per https://didrocks.fr/2017/09/11/ubuntu-gnome-shell-in-artful-day-11/)

Marius Gedminas
--
Some performers on television appear to be horrible people, but when
you finally get to know them in person, they turn out to be even worse.