Ubuntu Desktop's GNOME Shell extensions survey ending soon

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed May 24 09:30:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:24:01AM -0400, SDA wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 02:54:17PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Some of those are slightly useful.  However, here are the couple of
> > shell extensions I always install and could not live without:
> >
> > * Frippery Panel Favourites: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4/panel-favorites/
> > * system-monitor:
> > https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/120/system-monitor/
>
> +100 For System Monitor - far better than Conky as the latter is covered by
> windows. Having my system sensor stats on the top bar is quite useful.

The part I don't like about System Monitor is that it freezes your
entire desktop if you have a mounted network filesystem (e.g. FUSE's
sshfs) and your network connection drops.  Merely laggy network makes
the desktop experience jerky.

Doing I/O in the main compositor thread is a bad idea, but I don't think
the gnome-shell extension model supports threads, and not every API has
an async version.

Marius Gedminas
--
I have office-mates, but they're not co-workers: at best they'll stand on the
keyboard and meow at me when I need a screen break.