How to upgrade in place from 16.10 unity to 17.04 gnome

Brian Burch brian at pingtoo.com
Tue May 2 07:49:54 UTC 2017

Thanks Marius,

This is short top-post because I won't respond inline to your valuable
comments and suggestions at the moment. However, I didn't want you think
I wasn't paying attention! I am grateful for your input.

I often run virtual machines on that particular system, so I ought to be
able to do a clean install under unity to get both full package lists,
because I have now upgraded my desktop system in-place to 17.04.

Unfortunately, that particular machine dropped dead suddenly at the
weekend and it looks as if I need a new computer (it was 12 years old).
Once I have that unplanned activity sorted out, I'll let you know how I
get on with the desktop change.

This laptop runs ubuntu studio 17.04, with lightdm and xfce4, so I
couldn't easily use it to test (besides, I need to do some problem
determination on why bcmwl-kernel-source has broken my laptop wifi!).

Don't hold your breath, but I WILL reply to you properly once my
technical life is back under control.

Thanks again,

Brian

p.s. your suggestions are OK for me, but not for most of the ordinary
users. It's a pity we can't come up with something safe and easy.