GNOME3 PPA End of Life Announcement

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Thu Mar 30 23:06:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 10:29 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Frank M Waterman
> <thepcmedicinia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If the end of life for 16.04 LTS is not until two years from now,
> > why is the
> > GNOME3 PPAs for it being shut down and why are you (and by
> > extension the
> > GNOME team) recommending upgrading to 16.10 when the end of life
> > for its
> > PPAs is coming up in May of this year? Perhaps I have missed a key
> > point,
> > but I do not understand. My apologies for my confusion.
>
> I hope my reply isn't even more confusing!
>
> Non-LTS releases are not supported for very long at all after the
> next
> Ubuntu release is available. This allows developers to focus on
> developing future releases while supporting a choice of either an LTS
> or the newest release. Ubuntu 17.04 will be released in two weeks.
> It's important that 16.10 users upgrade promptly but you can wait a
> few weeks.
>
> Ubuntu 16.10 offers a better GNOME 3.20 experience than 16.04 LTS.
> Let
> me give 2 brief examples of issues with 16.04 + the GNOME3 Staging
> PPA:
> - Every single time there's a new webkit2gtk security update (and
> there are multiple every year), it has to be rebuilt in the 16.04
> GNOME3 Staging PPA or else apps like evolution won't display
> correctly.
> - There is a gnome-keyring issue that I believe was resolved in 16.10
> by converting gnome-keyring, gnome-session and more to systemd user
> sessions. This is too disruptive of a change to try to backport since
> it could introduce problems for those running other desktops.
>
> Conclusion: If you want stability, it's best to stay on the LTS
> without the GNOME3 PPAs. If you want the latest and greatest, it's
> best to upgrade to the new non-LTS releases.
>
> Jeremy

It makes sense Jeremy. However, one question, back when this started I
believe you told me that once I removed the ppa's that all my 3.20.*
versions would revert to the 3.18.* versions or maybe I misunderstood.
Anyway, I still have the 3.20.* versions installed.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C