GNOME3 PPA End of Life Announcement

Frank M Waterman thepcmedicinia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:06:42 UTC 2017

Good morning Jeremy (and everyone else as well).
I am confused and I hope that you can help me.  In your message, you
wrote:
> > Ubuntu 16.10 "yakkety" GNOME3 PPA End of Life will be the end of
> > May 2017.
> > Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "xenial" GNOME3 PPA End of Life has been extended
> > the end of April 2017.
> > Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 LTS without the PPAs will reach End of Life in
> > April 2019.
> > Remember that non-LTS releases are only supported for 9 months
> > from
> > original release.

Immediately after that, you went on to write:
> > Conclusion
> > If you are using the GNOME3 PPAs for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, please
> > ppa-purge them. Then, either remain on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or upgrade
> > Ubuntu 16.10.

If the end of life for 16.04 LTS is not until two years from now, why
is the GNOME3 PPAs for it being shut down and why are you (and by
extension the GNOME team) recommending upgrading to 16.10 when the end
of life for its PPAs is coming up in May of this year?  Perhaps I have
missed a key point, but I do not understand.  My apologies for my
confusion.