Removing unneeded package dependencies on Unity

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Sun Mar 5 07:42:29 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
> I simply don't see why e.g. Pidgin needs that specific dependency as
> it also runs in other window managers.

I can't say for Pidgin, but Geary in Ubuntu depends on libunity so that
if run under Unity, it can integrate better with that desktop. On other
desktops such as GNOME3, when Geary is launched the Unity integration
codepath is never executed and hence consumes no extra resources. The
library is linked at runtime and hence loaded into the process's space,
but since it is memory mapped from disk, that only uses ~8k of actual
memory.

So the overhead for Geary when you're running under GNOME 3 or some
other DE/WM is very, very minimal.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.