wrong kernel on 14.04?

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Sun Jan 22 23:07:23 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the mail,

On 22 January 2017 at 22:49,  <abhieud at yahoo.es> wrote:
> I have q question: According to this:
> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntugnome
> the kernel for 14.04 should be 3.13, but when I run "uname -a" I see a 4.4.

Great question. 14.04 did indeed ship originally (over 2 years ago)
with 3.13. However, as an LTS (Long Term Support) release of Ubuntu,
we push out HWE (Hardware Enablement Stack) updates periodically.
These include newer kernels, which have been backported from later
versions of Ubuntu. This is so people can stick with 14.04 but install
it on newer hardware, which may have devices only supported in newer
kernels.

So yes, you're correct that 4.4 is the current kernel.

This wiki page has some nice details and a pretty picture showing the
supported releases.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Kernel.2FSupport.A14.04.x_Ubuntu_Kernel_Support

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Community Manager

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
alan.pope at canonical.com
http://ubuntu.com/