Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 regressions

Emblem Parade emblemparade at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 05:23:32 UTC 2017

Before, I was using Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 upgraded to GNOME 3.20 via the PPAs.

The following things worked fine before, but are broken now:

1. SMPlayer/mpv crashes the entire Shell in Wayland when playing a video.
It doesn't matter which output driver I use. Interestingly enough, mpv
works find standalone! Because I can't live without SMPlayer (ha!) my
workaround is to use the X11 session. I can understand view errors, but why
does the Shell crash?

2. Eclipse IDE cannot handle Hi-DPI properly, lots of bugs with font sizes.
(Worked fine in 16.04.) My workaround for now is to set Eclipse to use
GTK+2 (SWT_GTK3=0). I imagine there is something in the new version of GTK
that ships with Ubuntu that prevents Eclipse from reading scaling values.
Could it be an Ubuntu GNOME configuration issue?

Otherwise, font rendering is *very* different from Ubuntu GNOME 16.04. It's
not necessarily bad, just ... different. Just letting you know in case this
wasn't intentional.