Fwd: Re: Proposal to drop 32-bit Ubuntu GNOME support after 18.04 LTS

Alfredo Hernández aldomann at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 4 10:03:00 UTC 2017

As Pander has stated, a notice in future releases (17.10 and 18.04 LTS) of
the 32-bit version would be ideal.

As ideal as it would be to support a 32-bit ISO, our resources are limited
and realistically, 32-bit-only hardware will run much smoother on XFCE,
LXDE, or MATE.

Cheers,
Alfredo

On 2 April 2017 at 11:54, Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 2017-04-02 09:53, Tim wrote:
> > It is somewhat impossible to get solid stats due to the distributed
> > nature of OSS.  There is no way to track downloads from all the mirrors,
> > or how many users we have.
> >

> > We still have users using 32-bit on amd64 capable hardware, but if you
> > exclude them the number on 32-bit only hardware by 2021 should be
> minimal.
> >

> > There are plenty of distro's/spins who focus is on supporting legacy
> > hardware.
>
> Perhaps add an option in the installer of 32-bit distros to notify
> Ubuntu of this installation after the user has explicitly chosen to do
> so. Users of versions nearing end-of-life are more prone to notify
> active usage for extended support.

<strong>Steve Stevenson, Web Designer</strong>
<a title="Mister Stevenson's website" href="http://www.misterstevenson.com">
www.misterstevenson.com</a> | <a title="email Steve Stevenson" href="mailto:
steve at misterstevenson.com">steve at misterstevenson.com</a>